Skip to content

dining in the dark

23 January, 2012

my first course

For dinner on Saturday, the three of us went to a restaurant where your meal is served and eaten in complete darkness.

unsicht-Bar

While the food was not the greatest, the overall experience was really cool.  To begin with, the menu (which you read in the low-lit bar area) is not very straightforward.  You can choose what type of protein you want, or opt to be surprised.  The description of each course was written so that guests would have a vague idea of what to expect, but the specifics weren’t stated, so diners are left to try to figure out what they are tasting, smelling, and feeling in the dark.

The Husband and I both selected vegetarian meals while our cousin decided to let himself be surprised.

vegetarian noms

raise the level of excitement.

Dining in the dark was a fun, and very novel experience.  Thanks, Bhaiya!

6 Comments leave one →
  1. 6 February, 2012 21:41

That sounds cool, but I think I’d be too nervous to try!

• 6 February, 2012 21:45

Aww, nervous about what?

Our waiter did a great job of telling us where our utensils were located, and he made sure to place the bottle of wine at the wall so we could find it. I made the guys pour the wine because I wanted no part of pouring blind!

It was really fun too to try to figure out what we were eating. Correctly identifying foods was easier than I thought it would be.

2. 6 February, 2012 22:16

I want to try this! I wonder which of my friends would be willing to come over for a meal in the dark? Maybe I should get Lillie to do it first. How interesting.

• 6 February, 2012 22:33

Trying this at home?! That sounds very adventurous!

I’d be afraid I’d spill hot food on someone.. I’m clumsy even when the lights are on! Although who knows, maybe navigating the kitchen/dining room is easier without sight than I think? The waiters and waitresses at the restaurant were all individuals who are visually impaired.

Please let me know if you do try this. I’m curious to hear how it goes!

3. Sarah permalink
    7 February, 2012 01:11

I’ve heard of places like that! I think people like to make out in there too since it’s all dark and ‘no one’ knows hahaha Glad you had a good time!

• 7 February, 2012 11:57

Haha! I had wondered about that actually. It was obviously way too dark to see anything, and the only things I heard were normal-sounding conversations in English and German.

I did get bumped into a number of times though, and one bump included a hand on my breast (although I’m sure that was purely accidental). One of the perks of sitting on an aisle, I suppose!