Skip to content

walk like.. a Moroccan?

8 September, 2010
tags: ,

We had about eight hours of talks today.. informative yes, but sitting in a chair for that long coupled with eating lots of delicious foods means that I need to get some ejercicio, stat.

After the iftar, a group of twelve or so of us decided to walk home from the medina rather than take the bus back to our hotel.  It was a much better experience than the walk the night before, only minimal catcalls this time, probably due to the fact that half of our group was men, and funnily enough, they were calling us “italia.”  Italian is a language that I know enough of to use some not-so-nice words to say some not-so-nice things, and the thought of busting ’em out did occur to me.  I’m grappling with this a little bit because while I know on one hand that this is just part of the culture, I also know that I’m being harassed, and I’m not super excited about that.

Our walk took us across a number of busy-ish streets, and we carefully navigated our way across them.  When I studied in Rome a few summers ago, my favorite thing about the whole trip was the beautiful experience of crossing streets there.. I felt like it was all choreographed, and I could spend large parts of afternoons eating gelato and just watching the traffic.  It’s not quite as magical here, but it was a little something like that, and I enjoyed it.  I also enjoyed the way that the locals were not at all fazed by any of it.

Anyway, I am tired and my brother has requested that I keep my entries short so he does not have to read as much.  Here are some photos from our iftar in the medina.. choose your own words for them:

8 Comments leave one →
  1. 8 September, 2010 10:54

Wait, I’m sorry, you’ll need to repeat that again.

Your brother told you to keep things short so he didn’t have to read as much?!

If his opinion is any reflection on the state of my generation back home, I do not want to return.

(oh, and I’m glad that you’re mildly enjoying yourself so far! The more you guys know like you know what’s going on, the less harassment there will be.)

2. Eric permalink
    8 September, 2010 18:04

I can’t seem to recall telling you to keep it short, but I’ll take your word for it.

3. Sarah permalink
    8 September, 2010 18:23

love these posts! hope things continue to improve with the catcalls too! what a croc >:-/ (that would be an angry-slash-frustrated face) smooches!

4. Pops permalink
    10 September, 2010 18:26

Hey Kiddo, have you seen any of those “Camel spiders yet & tasted the local delicacies???

5. 11 September, 2010 18:27

Love seeing iftars from other countries! Eid Mubarak to you and the other Fulbrighters– maybe I’ll see you at our mid-year conference!

6. Judy permalink
    12 September, 2010 04:01

what a breeze you have made this journey seem. i never knew you liked to eat so gloriously. ok, when you get back — i’ll leave the math to you — we are going out for dinner!!!
    keep that positive attitude, tracy. culture shock? remember, there are stages. you pass THROUGH them and come out with a modicum of acculturation. all my love,
    j

7. Mother permalink
    13 September, 2010 02:58

Waiting anxiously to read about your adventures in the desert this past weekend! As always, miss you and love you.